S^4 Super Summer Science Search™ 2017 Contest
Getting Your Project Started
- Assemble a team of one to three students, outgoing 6th, 7th and 8th graders residing within the Cupertino Union School District (CUSD). You may want to attend one or more of three workshop sessions available between May and July. These sessions, staffed by high school and adult volunteers, will help you understand how to complete your entry and answer any questions you may have. See the Workshop Schedule page for times and dates.
- Each participant (not team) must start by registering between May 1, 2017, and June 1, 2017. You must register by June 1st to be a part of the contest.
- Read the Contest Prompt on the Cupertino Library Foundation (CLF) website.
- Read the Official Contest Rules and Database Suggestions on the CLF website.
- Review the required contest components for you to include in your final entry:
- A 3-5 page electronic report
- A list of research citings you used from Santa Clara County Library District (SCCLD) science/other databases and resources
- An electronic journal documenting your project
- A presentation (slideshow, video, audio, Prezi, or similar; no more than 5 minutes).
You will store these components on your own computer until you (and your team, if appropriate), are ready to submit your entry.
- Create an electronic folder for you (or for your team) to keep all the elements of your project.
- Use the online research databases accessible through the SCCLD website for information for your report. Consideration by the judges will be given to the citings made from these databases—you must use at least 3 databases for your entry to be eligible. See the Database Suggestions list.
- Keep a written journal or diary to document your day-by-day activities in collecting research for your report. Make it real, and make it fun.
- Include a separate page of rough notes taken during the process, documenting the research sources you utilized in your report.
- When you have completed your report, list of citings, journal, and presentation, and are ready to submit, name your files using the following syntax:
- For individuals – Use your project title as one word: projecttitle_report_2017, projecttitle_citings_2017, projecttitle_ journal_2017, projecttitle_presentation_2017. MAKE SURE TO TELL THE PROGRAM MANAGER YOUR PROJECT TITLE.
- For teams – teamname_report_2017, teamname_citings_2017, teamname_journal_2017, teamname_presentation_2017.
- Upload these files using the instructions that will be sent to you after June 14. SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY NO LATER THAN 11:59 p.m., PDT, August 1, 2017.
The final report may include embedded links to your research notes and project diary.
Have fun-and thanks for participating!
S^4 Super Summer Science Search Links
- Registration Form
- About S^4
- Official Contest Rules for Entering
- Getting Your Project Started
- Contest Prompt
- Presentation Requirements
- Workshop Sessions
- Database Suggestions
- Frequently Asked Questions
© 2017 Cupertino Library Foundation. All rights reserved.