S^4 Super Summer Science Search™ 2017 Contest
Entries must be submitted online and completed forms must be received by 11:59 pm PDT on August 1, 2017.
- A 3-5 page MLA formatted electronic report.* Please include a separate Works Cited page (your bibliography). The Works Cited page will not be counted in the overall page count.
- Use at least 3 Santa Clara County Library Databases (SCCLD).
- A presentation of your choice – video, slideshow, website, Prezi. (Videos must be no more than five minutes in length. If your presentation is not a video, you should be able to present your presentation in no more than five minutes. Excessively long presentations will be penalized. (Note that your presentation should not simply reiterate the information in your report but should add new, meaningful content.)
- A typed journal recording your progress (submitted electronically; up to 5 pages) is strongly recommended but not required.
Participants must produce their own original work.
*Refer to the Purdue OWL website for proper formatting.
Outline for Report:**
- Explain the problem and its impact
- Briefly introduce your solution
- Body paragraph 1
- Background information
- Body paragraph 2
- Describe the solution in detail
- Clearly reference which aspect of S.T.E.A.M. you applied
- How you obtained this solution
- Body paragraph 3
- Procedure – can also explain theoretically
- How exactly your solution will help solve the problem
- Brief summary of the problem and your solutions
- Future developments
**This outline is a suggestion only and does not have to be followed.
Ideas to Stay Away From
— Cliché or unoriginal topics
Example: Anything from Science Buddies
— Topics that don’t solve problems
Example: Baking soda and vinegar volcanoes, strawberry DNA extraction, effect of music/lights on plants
— Infeasible topics
Example: Eradicating all diseases, going to Jupiter, creating a unicorn, ending world hunger, establishing world peace
If you are not sure whether your idea falls into one or more of these three categories, please feel free to contact us at S4@cupertinolibraryfoundation.org.
S^4 Super Summer Science Search Links
- Registration Form
- About S^4
- Official Contest Rules for Entering
- Getting Your Project Started
- Contest Prompt
- Presentation Requirements
- Workshop Sessions
- Database Suggestions
- Frequently Asked Questions
© 2017 Cupertino Library Foundation. All rights reserved.