About S^4 Super Summer Science Search™
Middle school students learn critical thinking around Common Core Standards, using SCCLD online databases
S^4 Super Summer Science Search began in spring of 2011 with the realization that middle school students were not as aware as their high-school counterparts of the Santa Clara County Library District (SCCLD) and their extensive subscription (no advertising) online databases.
The Cupertino Library Foundation, who funds multiple Cupertino Library and system-wide initiatives, reached out to the Cupertino Unified School District to partner in the S^4 Super Summer Science Search project.
The Cupertino Library Foundation supports the S^4 Super Summer Science Search contest to provide students with free access to age-appropriate, academic online research tools as the vehicle to develop:
- appropriate and interesting research questions;
- critical thinking skills to analyze information sources for credibility, bias and accuracy;
- confidence and competency in using Library databases to seek answers to research questions;
- effective ways to include and cite authoritative information to support or refute arguments; and
- the ability to write persuasive essays, reports and presentations that summarize and synthesize a students’ scientific research.
Slides from the 2018 program can be found here when available. Stay tuned!
The Cupertino Library Foundation is a 501(c)3 Public Benefit Corporation with the purpose to raise money to continue programs encouraging life-long learning and self-improvement through the Cupertino Library. The Foundation has the Non-Profit Seal of Approval by Guidestar demonstrating satisfaction of transparency requirements and is a member of the Google for Nonprofits program receiving tools to work efficiently. It seeks major donations from corporations and the business community and from other foundations as well as individual donations and planned gifts and bequests. For further information visit: www.cupertinolibraryfoundation.org
© 2017 Cupertino Library Foundation. All rights reserved.