The Cupertino Chamber of Commerce will hold its annual STAR Awards Gala to recognize local businesses and citizens whose contributions have made a significant and beneficial impact on the Cupertino community. This year’s event will be held on Saturday, March 19th at the Juniper Cupertino Hotel.
Our very own Eno Schmidt, President of the Cupertino Library Foundation, has been awarded the 2016 Cupertino Citizen of the Year Award for his civic involvement, history of service, and leadership skills. As part of the celebration on March 19, Jerry Liu, Cupertino Library Foundation Board Member, will be making an introduction of Eno and a short video about Eno will be shown.
Eno joined the Cupertino Library Foundation, a 501(c)(3) Public Benefit Corporation, in 2001 and has provided leadership to the Cupertino Library Foundation (CLF) for over a decade. In 2005, Eno received the CREST Award as part of the CLF Board and since 2007 has served as CLF President. During this time, Eno has collaborated with various Cupertino Community Librarians and has advised City Council members on Library activities. He helped the Foundation raise more than $3.5 million, including the successful $1.2 million capital campaign to furnish the new Cupertino Library building completed in 2004. As an advocate for lifelong learning, Eno encouraged the creation of the Teen Room in the Cupertino Library and has supported the implementation of many programs over the years (please refer to the longer list below). Currently, Eno is focusing efforts on some of the Foundation’s projects such as S4 – Super Summer Science Searches (geared towards middle school students), STEAM LEADS (geared towards teens), Annual Fall Performing Arts & Culture Series, and the educational Film Series at Cupertino’s Bluelight Cinemas.
Also active in other community volunteer efforts, Eno has served at various times on the Cupertino Library Commission and on the City of Cupertino’s Audit Committee. He is a member of the Cupertino Historical Society and the Friend of Cupertino Library. In recognition for his community service over the years, Eno received Cupertino’s CREST Award in 2009 and was also chosen by the Association of Fundraising Professionals in Silicon Valley as a Distinguished Volunteer Fundraiser Honoree.
Please join us in congratulating Eno Schmidt as one of this year’s Cupertino Citizen of the Year!
Some of the many projects that CLF has implemented over past years under Eno’s leadership on the Foundation’s board include:
- ROI Benefit Study for SCCLD
- S^4‐Super Summer Science Search
- Fusion: Art, Science, Technology Series
- STEAM Leads
- CLASP Research Tool
- CU Hacks
- Santa Clara Valley History Collaborative
- PlaneTree Health Information Center
- Film Series
- Globe on Screen
- With Mark Larson
- Star Trek annual Series at BlueLight
- New Reading Room Remodel
- Teen Room enhancement
- Tech Tool Bar
- Silicon Valley Reads 2008-2015
- Annual Art Display Walls for community artists
- Self‐check machines
- Collection additions
- including E‐Resources such as the
- DragonSource (Qikan Chinese Magazine)
- New CD Bins in order to display better and permit easier access, and more.
- Supporting Poet Laureate
- Gandhi Day
- Diwali Booth support
- Teen Council
- Shakespeare and Fall Performing Arts
- Charged Particles Jazz Trio
- San Jose Chamber Orchestra
- Bo Ai Chorus
- San Jose Taiko
- Firebird Youth Orchestra
- Cambodian Dance Group
- Aztec Dance company
- SF Shakespeare – Hamlet (2015), Julius Caesar (2014), A Midsummer’s Night Dream (2012)
- Flamenco Society of SJ
- Duffy Hudson: Edgar Allen Poe (2013), A Christmas Carol (2012)
- Art Lecture: Annie Leibovitz
- Art Lecture: Impressionists in Winter
- Art Lecture: French Fashion
- Opera San Jose